[vertaling] wc: Dutch translation and some suggestions

Eric Blake ebb9 at byu.net
Tue Jun 26 14:43:39 CEST 2007

According to Hans Lodder on 6/26/2007 3:48 AM:
> Hi! some suggestions for the translation:

Thanks for the report.

First off, translation bugs should be sent to the translator:

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/registry.cgi?domain=coreutils
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/registry.cgi?team=nl

Therefore, I'm including the Dutch translation team on my reply, as listed
in 'wc --help' in the nl locale, and repeating your suggestions:

> Aanroep: wc [OPTIE]... [BESTAND]...
> ==> [OK}
>
> Print nieuwe-regel, het aantal woorden en bytes voor elk BESTAND
> ==> Print het aantal regels, het aantal woorden en het aantal bytes voor
> elk bestand.
>
> , en een totaalregel als meer dan een BESTAND is gegeven.
> ==> Print een regel met totalen als er meer dan één bestand is opgegeven.
>
> Zonder BESTAND of  BESTAND is -, lees van standaard-invoer.
> ==> Leest van de standaard invoer als geen BESTAND is opgegeven, of
> BESTAND is '-'
>
>  -c, --bytes,           geef het aantal bytes
> ==>  -c, --bytes            Geeft het aantal bytes
>
>  -m, --chars            geef het aantal karakter
> ==>  -m, --chars            Toont het aantal karakters
>
>  -l, --lines-           geef het aantal nieuwe-regel
> ==>  -l, --lines-           Toont het aantal nieuwe regels
>
>  -L, --max-line-length  toon de lengte van de langste regel
> ==>  -L, --max-line-length  Toont de lengte van de langste regel
>
>  -w, --words            toon het aantal woorden
> ==>  -w, --words           Toont het aantal woorden
>
>      --help     toon deze hulptekst en beëindig programma
> ==>      --help             Toont help-informatie en beëindigt het
> programma
>
>      --version  toon versie-informatie en beëindig programma
> ==>      --version          Toont versie-informatie en beëindigt het
> programma

Meanwhile, the rest of your questions appear to be language-independent:

> Questions:
> - why not have '-h' switch
> - why not have '-v' switch

Because GNU Coding Standards do not require them.  We prefer to use only
- --help and --version, unless there is a very good reason to also have a
short option.

> - why not (optionally) print a header, so it is clear which number
> corresponds with which measured item
> - why not also count sentences: a sentence being a line that ends with a
> '.' (DOT), ';' (SEMICOLON), or '?' (QUESTIONMARK)

wc is specified by POSIX, so the default behavior is specified.  It would
take an additional option to add any of these other behaviors; along with
someone to write a patch and propose it.  The problem with adding
non-portable extensions is that you can't rely on them unless you can
ensure you are running a new enough version of GNU coreutils, so there is
a very high bar for adding new options, particularly if some other tool
can already portably do the same task.  I'm not saying it is impossible,
it just needs a lot of justification.

> I use wc to check the complexity of webpages, so the number of words,
> word length and the number of words per sentence are important issues.
> wc helps me, and knowing the number of sentences would definitely be an
> advantage

Would perl, python, or some other scripting language be better suited to
the task of counting sentences?

- --

Eric Blake             ebb9 at byu.net