[vertaling] Re: Minor differences for ISO_3166 translations in Dutch (Debian and TP)

Luk Claes luk at debian.org
Wed Jan 31 22:54:05 CET 2007

Frans Pop wrote:
> Wow, this relatively minor issue is really getting around ;-)
>
> On Wednesday 31 January 2007 20:15, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>> If plain "Man" is deemed insufficiently clear when there isn't
>> enough context, then "eiland Man" or "Man (eiland)" could be used,
>> but without an uppercase initial for "eiland".
>
> IMO "eiland Man" would be incorrect as putting "eiland" in front implies
> that it _is_ part of the name and in that case it should be capitalized.
>
> I can also not think of any other example where something similar is done,
> while I can think of cases where you have, for example "XXX (republiek)"
> or "XXX, republiek". In this case I don't think using a comma would be
> correct though.

The correct name in Dutch of the island is 'Man', but the correct translation
of Island Man is 'Eiland Man' like the correct name of the island in English
also would be 'Man'...

Cheers

Luk

--
Luk Claes - http://people.debian.org/~luk - GPG key 1024D/9B7C328D
Fingerprint:   D5AF 25FB 316B 53BB 08E7   F999 E544 DE07 9B7C 328D