[vertaling] Re: Minor differences for ISO_3166 translations in Dutch (Debian and TP)

Benno Schulenberg bensberg at justemail.net
Wed Jan 31 20:15:10 CET 2007

Freek de Kruijf wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 11:00 +0100, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> > > It is commonly used as "Isle of Man" in various official
> > > documents, i.e. untranslated, or as "Man", but that might be
> > > a bit lacking of context. I think leaving "Isle of Man"
> > > untranslated might be most resembling everyday use and is
> > > clear enough to understand what's meant.
>
> In articles in Dutch the name "eiland Man" is often found. So
> keeping "Isle of Man" is not an option for me. Also I found
> "eiland van Man", but this "van" does not feel like Dutch. Also
> "Man (eiland)" is further away from "Isle of Man". So for me
> "Eiland Man" is the closest Dutch translation of this name.

But "eiland" should not be capitalized: it is not part of the name.
The Dutch name of the isle is simply "Man"; so says de Bosatlas,
and in its index only "Man" is found, not "Isle of Man".

So this seems to concur with what Frans Pop wrote:
> The English wikepedia even lists [1] just "Man" as the official
> Dutch name of the "Isle of Man", which could well be correct. The
> Dutch wikipedia [2] seems to agree with that, although the main
> text is inconsistent in that it also uses "Eiland Man" (with
> capitalized "E").  [...]
> It rather looks as if the correct translation should be "Man", or
> possibly "Man (eiland)".
> [1] http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man
> [2] http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_(eiland)

If plain "Man" is deemed insufficiently clear when there isn't
enough context, then "eiland Man" or "Man (eiland)" could be used,
but without an uppercase initial for "eiland".

Benno