Looking for inconsistencies

Branko Collin vertaling@nl.linux.org
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 00:27:45 +0200

On 31 Mar 2003, at 23:09, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

> I'm doing a little research on free software localisation. More
> specifically I want to know more about the usability impact of
> incomplete, incorrect or inconsistent translations.
>
> Incomplete translations show up as interfaces which are partly
> english, partly localised. Incorrect translations are more difficult
> to spot unless you really know what's supposed to be on screen.
> Inconsistent translations are when the same thing is called X in one
> place and Y in another.
>
> If you have any good examples of these in your language (also include
> the ramifications to the user of the error if there are any) I'd
> appreciate if you'd send them to me.

What got me started on the GIMP translation were the Undo and Redo
menu items, which were both incorrectly translated as Kopieren
('Copy').

As for impact on the user: I don't think you'd really find out unless
you asked or observed users. And you'd have to test users with
'perfect' translations too.

Why do you want to know?

--
branko collin